Chromecast is a digital media streaming device that Google has developed. The device itself is a dongle (a small “puck” with a connecting cable, no bigger than it fits in your pocket) and what it does is that it wirelessly streams your favorite entertainment from your smartphone, tablet or computer via your home network.
Simply plug in your Chromecast into a free HDMI input on your TV and start streaming your streaming services, apps, games, your own media and much more. Smooth, simple and in the best possible quality.
If you’ve previously connected your computer to the big screen of the TV, this might just sound like a cordless version of it, but Chromecast is so much more. We’ll go into all the possibilities this solution offers right away because Chromecast can do many more tricks than just using the TV as a computer screen, but one of the main benefits is that Chromecast allows streaming much higher quality content and speed because it uses the WiFi network.
For example, the powerful big brother in the family of streaming devices – Chromecast Ultra – can stream media in 4K (if your TV has that option). With such a high resolution it is like being in the middle of what you are looking at. In other words, entertainment on a whole new level.
Easy to install and use
Chromecast is easy to get started with and requires no complicated installations or cumbersome wiring. If you are unsure, there are many skilled technicians who can help you get started on this amazing entertainment unit, otherwise, you can:
- Plug the Chromecast dongle into a free HDMI input on your TV. Also, plug in the USB connection (either in the TV or the supplied AC adapter) so that the device gets power.
- Connect Chromecast to the same network as your phone, computer, etc.
- Download the Google Home app from the App Store or Google Play.
- To set up Chromecast, open the Google Home app and go to Add> Set Up Device.
- Start streaming your favorite media.
Chromecast works with Android devices, iPhone, iPad, Mac and Windows computers, and Chromebooks. Because the unit is so small and easily installed, you can easily take it with you if you are traveling somewhere.
You can do this with Chromecast
Perhaps the main use of Chromecast is to take television viewing to entirely new heights. Now we look at our favorite shows right now when we feel it thanks to all streaming services and Play channels.
We can reach these services via a computer or mobile phone and it is not always so successful if you want to watch with family and friends, and not everyone wants to invest in an expensive Smart TV just to get the opportunity to see these services on a large screen. Chromecast is the smart solution that makes every TV a Smart TV. For a fraction of the price.
Chromecast makes it possible to stream high-resolution content with surround sound from services and apps like Netflix, HBO Nordic, Hulu, YouTube, Google Play and much, much more. More and more services and channels are adding support for Chromecast so you can watch your favorite content on your TV in the best possible quality, whenever you want.
A host of other solutions have also emerged that make Chromecast a perfect and smart multimedia experience. Here are some of the possibilities.
- Mirror your screen on the TV. You can mirror your Android device directly to the TV to watch the photos and videos you have on it, browse the web, view presentations, play and much more.
- Play music. Chromecast is supported by several major music services such as Spotify Premium, Google Play Music, Pandora and others. Turn your TV into a stereo / jukebox with excellent sound quality.
- Play games. Chromecast supports a variety of fun and exciting games. You use your smartphone or tablet as a control, and can play small games in a big way on your TV for a maximum gaming experience.
- Pair with Google Home. You can also sync Chromecast with Google Home Assistant and control your services with voice commands for a truly smart and comfortable experience. Instead of clicking and scrolling, you just say “Hey Google, play the latest episode of Umbrella Academy on Netflix”. It can’t be simpler and smoother than that. You can also rewind and pause, pause, mute and much more with voice commands.
Lots of opportunities. It is also possible to stream content from Facebook Live, Google Photos, Slides and the Chrome browser, make playlists on YouTube, use your phone/tablet for other things while streaming, use headphones and more.
The simple answer to the question of what Chromecast is is that you can use your mobile device, tablet or computer as a smart remote control to stream and see all your favorite apps on the big screen. In the best possible resolution and image quality.
It is simple and smart entertainment in a new convenient way.